Southstone Behavioral Health Hospital is Virginia’s leader in adolescent treatment. We employ a team of professionals committed to providing clinically proven treatment that is customized to meet the unique needs of each teen who seeks our care.
Referring an adolescent to our treatment center in South Boston, VA
Southstone Behavioral Health accepts referrals from a wide range of professional sources, including social workers, officers of the court, school officials, special education personnel, private practitioners, child guidance clinics, psychiatric facilities, and Magellan of Virginia’s Independent Assessment, Certification, and Coordination Teams (IACCT).
The referral process can begin with a phone call. Following this initial conversation, the referring professional will need to provide the following documentation for the adolescent who is being considered for admission:
- Immunization record
- Copy of most recent physical examination (must be from the past 12 months), including the following information:
- Documentation of freedom from communicable disease including TB
- Documentation of any allergies, chronic conditions, and handicaps
- Information regarding previous serious illness, infectious disease, or serious injury requiring hospitalization
- Copy of complete psychological or psychiatric evaluations, including IQ scores
- Copy of neuropsychological evaluation (if available)
- List of medications the adolescent is currently taking, including type and dosage
- Previous placement history, including psychiatric treatment, residential, foster care, corrections, and other placements (including staffing reports and discharge summary, if available)
- Copy of student’s eligibility for special education services
- Current IEP, grade placement, and disciplinary file (if applicable)
- Copy of most recent educational evaluation and testing scores
- Copy of referral letter sent to appropriate school district requesting funding
- Documentation from local education authority (LEA) for appointed surrogate parent (if applicable)
Social and Developmental Summary
- Social history describing family structure and relationships
- Developmental summary
- Custody status (legal and physical)
- Social Security number
- Current behavioral functioning (including strengths, talents, problems, and therapeutic needs)
- Place of birth
- Religious preference (if any)
- Copy of private insurance card, front and back
- Copy of medical assistance card or completed application for medical assistance
- Signed insurance forms for medical/dental purposes
- Certification of need for admission, if applicable, for Virginia Medicaid funding
- Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths (CANS) profile within 90 days, if applicable, for Virginia Medicaid funding
Out-of-state referrals also require confirmation of compliance with the interstate compact agreement.
Guidelines for admission to Southstone Behavioral Health in South Boston, VA
Southstone Behavioral Health accepts adolescents who have been struggling with a variety of mental health disorders. Our services are especially appropriate for young people who have trauma- or attachment-related needs.
To be considered for admission to Southstone, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Age 10-17 at the time of admission
- Diagnosis of a significant mental health disorder
- Currently enrolled in an academic program
- Prior failure at a less intensive level of treatment (minimal six months duration)
Southstone’s programming is designed for young people who have been experiencing impairments in their social, interpersonal, or communication skills. These impairments should be significant enough to require moderate-intensity, multidisciplinary treatment, integrated within a highly structured, 24-hour therapeutic residential setting.
The following are examples of the many issues and challenges that may bring an adolescent to Southstone:
- Anxiety disorders
- Attachment disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Depressive disorders
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other effects of trauma
- Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)
- Suicidal ideation
Issues that may prevent admission to our adolescent treatment center in South Boston, VA
The following criteria may disqualify a young person from being admitted into adolescent programming at Southstone Behavioral Health:
- Actively suicidal or homicidal
- Severe aggression or homicidal behavior directed toward peers or authority figures
- Persistent pattern of assaultive or aggressive behavior in the absence of a contributing and treatable psychiatric condition
- Unstable medical condition
- In need of detoxification or intensive medical care due to chemical dependency
- Acutely psychotic or severely disorganized, requiring stabilization which precludes residential care
- Severe organic brain disorders with inability to ambulate
- Unable to feed self by mouth
- Unable to physically move about the campus
Again, please note that all admissions decisions are made on an individual basis following a close assessment of all relevant information. If you have any questions regarding whether an adolescent in your care may qualify for admission to Southstone Behavioral Health, please contact us directly. A member of our team will be happy to provide you with the answers you need.
The admissions review process at our adolescent treatment center in South Boston, VA
Once we have received the admission application with all necessary documentation, our clinical director will review all relevant information and take one of the following actions:
- Accept the referral
- Deny the referral
- Request more current information
- Request a clinical interview with the referred adolescent and family
If a referral is denied, we will provide an alternative recommendation upon request. Both the family and the referral source will be given the reason for denial.
If the referral is accepted and the family authorizes us to share information, we will contact the referring professional to coordinate care.
For additional information about referring patients or clients to Southstone, or for answers to any questions you may have about any aspect of our programming, please contact us at your convenience.